- Orbite Aluminae Inc (TSX:ORT)0.92+0.19 - +26.03%
- Britannica Resources Corp. (TSX.V:BRR)0.060.00 - 0.00%
- Terra Nova Energy Corp. (TSX.V:TGC)0.135+0.015 - +12.50%
- BNK Petroleum Inc. (TSX:BKX)0.84-0.01 - -1.18%
- Atico Mining Inc. (TSX.V:ATY)0.64+0.05 - +8.47%
- Chieftain Metals Inc. (TSX:CFB)1.59-0.06 - -3.64%
- Arianne Phosphate Inc. (TSX.V:DAN)1.19+0.06 - +5.31%
- Tinka Resources Ltd. (TSX.V:TK)0.85+0.02 - +2.41%
- Black Iron Inc. (TSX:BKI)0.250.00 - 0.00%
- Newstrike Capital Corp. (TSX.V:NES)0.75+0.01 - +1.35%
- Abakan Inc. (OTCQB:ABKI)3.120.00 - 0.00%
- Gold (COMEX)1453.60-8.80 - -0.60%
- Oil (WTI)93.30+0.34 - +0.37%
- Pivot Technology Solutions Inc. (TSX.V:PTG)0.25-0.02 - -7.41%
Utah Returns to Gold Standard in Defiance of Fed
Shops in Salt Lake City will soon be able to accept gold Buffalo and Eagle coins (no foreign minted Napoleons or Krugerrands allowed), after a bill to make gold and silver legal tender passed Utah’s House and Senate.
The state does not trust the US Federal Reserve. However, visitors need not weigh down their pockets just yet.
The bill, which is under review by the governor, ends state taxes on the transfer of gold – they currently treat it as an asset and not as money – but until the federal government does the same, its green paper will have the edge.
This proto-gold standard in the American west is a rebuke and challenge to the Fed, and a reminder that easy monetary policy since 2007 has won the central bank many more enemies than friends.
“They’ve been a disaster,” says Jeff Bell, policy director of the American Principles Project, a conservative lobby group that has helped the Utah legislators and favours a return to the gold standard. “Mr [Ben] Bernanke, ever since he got on to the Fed, has been a force for fighting deflation and bringing interest rates down to the disappearing point.”
MidasLetter Premium Edition identifies 5 stocks on the first Sunday of each month from the TSX Venture Exchange that are expected to double within 12 to 18 months, 9 out of 10 times, or your money back. Subscribe now for $49 per month, or $499 for one year, at http://www.midasletter.com/subscribe. 30 day instant refund period from your first subscription day if not 100% satisfied.